“Then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose”-
JOY is a major theme in the book of Philippians. But joy can be a bit abstract. We know the basic idea behind it, but where do we find it? How do we hold onto it? How come it’s so easily misplaced?
This Sunday is all about joy…
how it’s completed,
...and how it advances our lives.
"Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ” Phil.1:27a
The Gospel of Jesus Christ simultaneously brings two truths into clear focus:
1. We’re way worse than we every could have imagined and there’s nothing WE can do about it.
-but yet, at the very same time-
2. We’re way more loved that we could ever dream of and Jesus has done EVERYTHING for us.
It’s terribly offensive and yet completely wonderful all at the same time. AND IN RESPONSE, IT CHANGES EVERYTHING ABOUT HOW WE LIVE HERE AND NOW.
"I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel” Philippians 1:12
There's only one faith in the world that:
1. Places God at the center of life, rather than us.
2. Promises eternal salvation through God’s grace, rather than our own good works.
3. Provides the means by which our work can be long-lasting, fruit-filled, and joy-producing.
"In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel“ -
Among people in the world there can be togetherness, cooperation, teamwork, and sometimes even harmony, but ONENESS is different. As we’ll see in Philippians, it’s a gift from God. It comes to us in the Gospel. It’s a real miracle. It’s part of the great adventure we were all made for. And when there’s oneness in the church, Jesus is made known, people take notice, and God is glorified.